Illinois Wesleyan Symphony Orchestra
Auditions will be held in Dr. Ivanov’s office (Presser Hall 256). Audition sign ups will be sent out by Tues. Jan. 8th. Auditions are Wed. Jan. 9th – Thurs. Jan. 10th in Dr. Ivanov’s office. Results will be posted on the bulletin board by the end of the day Fri. Jan. 11th.
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be a member of any large instrumental ensemble, you must audition. If you were in an ensemble last semester, you must REAUDITION. This includes the Illinois Wesleyan Symphony Orchestra, the IWU Wind Ensemble, and Symphonic Winds.
Below is the audition information for Spring 2019. Results of your audition will determine which ensemble(s) you will be placed in. All musicians of any experience and ability are encouraged to audition! Musicians can play in both the orchestra and a wind band.
The IWSO rehearses Mondays from 4 to 6pm and Wednesdays from 6 to 8:30pm. Sectional time is reserved for Wednesdays from 4 to 5:30pm. All rehearsals are held in Presser Hall 167 and are lead by Dr. Ivanov (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Orchestra auditions consist of:
- Two prepared pieces of contrasting style, each 2-3 minutes in length (chosen solos or etudes should demonstrate both technical and lyrical styles)
- Two scales of your choice (Percussionists do not prepare scales for their audition. Email Prof. Minarcek at email@example.com for further information.)
Before your audition, you must:
- Complete an informational questionnaire by clicking here. This form will need to be completed prior to signing up for an audition time slot.
- Sign up for an audition time. The audition sign up sheet will be posted on the bulletin board outside of Dr. Ivanov’s office.
- If you are auditioning for both band and orchestra on the same instrument, you need to sign up for only ONE audition time.
- Print out and complete one audition sheet which can be found at this link. This form must be presented to the attending faculty at the time of your audition.
Please contact Jessica Sheetz at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding auditions or the IWU instrumental ensembles.
We look forward to seeing you at auditions!