Satin Young ’16 “S.P.E.A.K” Inspiring Residents to Create Community Through Everyday Action

Binder #: 94

Major: Sociology

Passion: Education and Outreach, Human Rights

Organization: IWU ARC

Project Title: “S.P.E.A.K”

Project Summary:

I found that each of the volunteer-dependent mentoring programs offered on the Westside of Bloomington have an orientation process. All of which include instruction on becoming an effective mentor. Young adults or teens sometimes attend a program where a mentor is specifically provided but usually he/she emerges in the individuals everyday life. This assumed mentor is normally a teacher, coach, choir director, or parent of a friend. While there are many opportunities to volunteer on the Westside, I will create a series of newsletter articles focused on the acronym S.P.E.A.K. (Smile, Positive, Engage, Authentic, Knowledgable).

A note from Satin:

“…invest portions of all your resources to the completion of your project and I mean it. It will take countless hours, mounds of energy, a few dollars, and about a gallon of sweat to churn out a project that you will want to talk about for the next 10 years. Honestly, I will proudly speak of my project to professors, family, and even possible employers for many years to come. Just remember, this is your time to shine so don’t waste it.”