Amanda King ’15

Year of Graduation: 2015

Major/minor: Environmental Studies

Current Address: Benin, Africa

How were you engaged with ARC? Not just the seminar/internship/fellowship but describe the type of project.

I worked with the Peace Garden and developing the Rso also the fellowship was to develop a peace space/outdoor classroom on campus. Mixed with native and medicinal plants commonly used in Native American ceremonies.

Where are you now?

Now, I am serving as an Environmental Action volunteer for the U.S. Peace Corps in Benin, Africa!

Where did ARC take you professionally? Are you doing work that connects back to ARC in some way?

Working with community development in Africa, so ARC taught me well!

Where did ARC take you personally? Are you engaged in community work that is ARC-like?

Yep! Working with local community members for the bettering of food security and some health work in my villages of kpakpa and agbagoule in the department Collines of Benin.

Did ARC teach you what we were supposed to teach you? Did we teach you anything that was a surprise or outside of the learning objectives?

There definitely could be some more work with PACA tools, but honestly shutting up and listening to what the people want is the best thing anyone could do for the well being of others! You’re not there to be in charge, you are there to learn and work together!

Share a great memory about ARC/IWU.

Working in the Peace Garden has given me so many tools for the future! Favorite parts were doing actual projects that benefit the community!

Read more alumni stories by exploring the Alumni map!