Casey Plach: CPP Program ’13

State Farm: At State Farm I am in Enterprise Compliance and Ethics. My work this summer has involved researching laws and regulations for the Life/Health compliance risk assessment and pairing my findings with the appropriate risk statements on the Life/Health execution template. My research will help Life/Health identify and understand the laws and regulations it must comply with and my findings will be used for a database ECE is building. caseyplach

Community: At Heartland Head Start, I have created new training booklets for the Policy Council and Governance Board, which will help the members understand their roles and responsibilities. I have also helped Spanish-speaking families with the enrollment process for the upcoming school year.

Grant Summary: Heartland Head Start (HHS) provides a high quality preschool education for low-income children and aims for families to be truly engaged in their child’s educational experience. However, this kind of parent involvement can be complicated when language barriers get in the way. In an effort to encourage reading-at-home among Spanish-speaking students, Heartland Head Start is partnering with Illinois Wesleyan students from the Spanish and Theatre Departments to create bilingual books-on-CDs for the preschool’s lending library and classrooms. The $500 grant will be used to underwrite the expense of the books and CDs.

Message from Casey- “Thank you State Farm, IWU Action Research Center, and Community Partners for making this summer possible!”