Jazmyn Becker ’12

Jazmyn Becker during her ARC days

Jazmyn Becker during her ARC days

Year of Graduation: 2012
Major/minor: Double major in Educational Policy and Business

How were you engaged with ARC? Not just the seminar/internship/fellowship but describe the type of project.

I worked with WBRP and collected local business interviews as well as helped organize a local youth soccer program

Where are you now?

I am a Challenge Detroit Fellow, which is an urban revitalization program utilizing the Design Thinking Model to create solutions for local non profits

Where did ARC take you professionally?

Are you doing work that connects back to ARC in some way? Yes the program I am currently in is actually alot like ARC. I work 4 days a week at a host company and do non profit consultation in Detroit on Fridays with 30 other young professionals

Where did ARC take you personally?

Are you engaged in community work that is ARC-like? See above. I am very committed to making an impact in my community. Prior to ARC I was a Teach for America teacher in Detroit.

Did ARC teach you what we were supposed to teach you?

Did we teach you anything that was a surprise or outside of the learning objectives? I think it was good to learn how to be a listener in the community. I would encourage ARC to looks at models like the Stanford Design Thinking Model when constructing their projects

Share a great memory about ARC/IWU
We had an ARC cook off at my house where everyone competed to create a dish with cheese in it! Good idea in theory not so much in practice. Everything from cheescake to Cheese crackers! Way too much dairy but also alot of fun! The winner took home the touted golden spatula.

Read more alumni stories by exploring the Alumni map!