Week 3 in The Philippines

Today’s date is June 26, 2022. We have been here for a little over 20 days. This week our rotation at SFCMC was in the ICU. Within the ICU I got to observe and practice so many nursing skills as the patients within the unit were in more critical states than what I have experienced on any gen-med floor here in the Philippines and back home in my clinical rotations. I got some exposure to ventilators where I learned what some of the values indicated while also learning about the two different types of ventilation. On top of this, we got more observational experience and hands-on experience with nursing skills such as inserting an NG tube, feeding patients through an NGT,  inserting a foley catheter, and setting up ECGs. Outside of nursing skills I also learned a lot about medications, especially medications used in more critical status patients such as dopamine. Outside of the hospital, we were able to go and do the 1500 steps of Mt. Maculot with our preceptor Sir Jeff and his father-in- law which was followed by visiting some of their families’ property and making fresh buko (coconut) juice. This weekend Mia, Aileen, and I also traveled to Manila to explore the city (and the ginormous malls) thanks to a lot of assistance from Melissa Simoy. It is crazy to think that we are already approaching the halfway point in this experience but I am excited to see what the next 34 days will bring inside and outside the hospital!

Monday after work Sir Jeff rode the same jeepney as the three of us as he was on the way to the auto shop in the same direction so we took this picture! He also informed me that the abbreviation "jeep" I have been using for a jeepney is spelled dyip in Tagalog.
On Tuesday to end our first 6-6 (12-hour shift) we headed to Sir Jeff’s office where we tried to do some nursing simulations on a website but ran into some technical difficulties so we instead helped clean off his whiteboard where we got to sign it after with the abbreviation JAM for our initials.
Sir Jeff treated us to our first buko shake (which was delicious) for cleaning his whiteboard.
Sir Jeff taught me how to efficiently cut the skin off of a mango (that we got freshly from the mango tree only a few feet away from where we were sitting).
A photo Mia took of me while with this stunning greenery on our way up the 1500 steps (sounds a lot easier said than done)
The group photo we took with ICU staff on our last day on the unit. Had a great week because of them!
A quick photo the three of us posed for in the reflection of a pillar in one of the many malls within the Metro Manila area.
A photo Melissa Simoy took of us while touring us around the city at night. This was similar to an American outdoor mall but a lot more action going on.
A quick selfie the four of us took before sitting down at a Bar for some drinks, delicious food, and great story sharing filled with a lot of laughter. Thanks again Melissa for showing us around the city!!!!!