Week 2 in the Philippines

Today’s date is Jun 19, 2022, and we landed here a little over two weeks ago. This week we rotated to the ER where I got to observe so many skilled nurses act quickly and think on their feet on how to best treat patients coming in with all types of injuries and illnesses. Rotating to the ER made me think that a more fast-paced unit might be the type of unit I would like to work on when I graduate. Additionally, this made me extremely excited for our critical care rotation next semester. Along with this, I got to perform many hands-on nursing activities such as taking vitals, preparing IV medications, and even using an ECG machine on a real patient which was a first! Besides this, in my time off I got to meet some more locals and also met some family of a student back at Wesleyan who took us to Tagaytay to see some beautiful views. This week has brought many new experiences, some exciting and some challenging.

A quick timered photo we took on one of our breaks where we were trying chicken intestine, kwek kwek, and other local foods.
Our friend Kit was super nice as she offered to drive us to the mall!
We got to go to a Station 1 meeting where we got to “sign in” which felt like an honor
Most of the staff from station one  and Mia, Aileen, and I  (we are  in the top left corner)
A selfie we took while waiting for a patient to finish an X-ray. Notice the PPE we wore all week while in the ER (KN95, gown, and gloves)
Aileen cooking up some scrambled eggs for dinner at our preceptors house as he invited us over for a night of basketball
Mia and I spent the night playing games and sharing stories with some of Kit’s friends
The Simoi family took us to Tagaytay where we saw some beautiful view
Visited “Puzzle Mansion ” which has the most jigsaw puzzles in the world. All of the puzzles were also completed by one lady which is very impressive as some of them took days to complete.
A photo we got with everyone in the ER on our last day of the rotation.
Me on a horse!!! I had to include this photo hahaha