Week 1 in the Philippines

It is currently June 12th, 2022, and I have been in the Philippines for just a little over a week. I landed on the 4th and since then have already been able to see so much of the Philippines and learn a lot about the culture. I will not lie, the first few days were hard for me to adjust to the culture shock I was experiencing, and a little bit of homesickness as everything was so new to me and I had no sense of familiarity. However, now I am settled in and have gotten a good grasp on what to expect for the next seven weeks. So far I have had an amazing experience at SFCMC thanks to my amazing instructor Sir Jeff and the rest of the hospital staff. I have already learned so much from everyone and already feel more confident as a student nurse just after one week of hands-on experience. We have been able to practice many skills within the hospital such as , hanging IV medications, and administering COVID-19 vaccines. On top of this, I have even learned new skills like performing an ECG and taking a fetal heart rate. Outside of the hospital Mia, Aileen, and I have been able to try so many new foods and see different towns in the Philippines thanks to the hospital staff taking us under their wings and driving us around. I am excited for these upcoming seven weeks because if they are all like this one I know I will have an amazing experience.

Our first meal in the Philippines on our own where I ate pork sisig which was delicious
A photo of me after my first ride on a jeepney!!!
Tita Irma showed us which Jeepney we will need ride to and from work everyday.
A selfie we took in between administering the COVID vaccine. Ft. Sir Jeff in the green scrubs our instructor.
A selfie we took after our first day at SFCMC
A friend we made at SFCMC (Kit) drove us to Taal lake where we took the photo
Sir Jeff teaching me how to eat lomi which was so good
Went to a local resturant/bar Neighborhood with some freinds we made at SFCMC
Sir Jeff teaching me some new techniques to start an IV (Thanks Kit for letting me practice on you :D)
Spent our night playing some card games
Taking on the burger challenge which was intended for 4-6 people but we had no problem finishing
Kit drove us to Monte Maria but sadly it was closed and this is the closest we could get