Donald Hildebrand ’50

Donald Hildebrand ’50 died April 14, 2020, in Nashville, Tennessee. He was 91. Don majored in history at Illinois Wesleyan before pursuing a law degree at Vanderbilt University. He entered the U.S. Army after his second year of law school but returned to Vanderbilt after an honorable discharge and earned his law degree in 1955. He was employed by State Farm for several years before founding the law firm Lester, Hildebrand, Nolan Porter and Mondelli. Don was a man of many interests and talents. He was active in American Legion, Shriners, Masons and the Eisenhower Foundation “People to People.” He hosted legal talk shows. He was a lifelong lover of music who performed in a lawyers’ orchestra and another group known as “The Established.” He ran for the Tennessee Supreme Court, and was a colonel in the Tennessee State Guard and the State Guard judge advocate, then the adjutant general, and finally the State Guard inspector general. He was also a published author who wrote The Community House about growing up in Emden, Illinois. Don was a longtime member of Belmont United Methodist Church in Nashville, where he served in the choir, as a Sunday school teacher, class president, and member of the administrative board. He also attended services at Belle Meade Methodist Church in Nashville. Of his time at Illinois Wesleyan, Don said, “When I reflect on the values and education that directed me in my career, I credit Wesleyan for providing me a strong and lasting foundation in both of these areas, along with many other wonderful experiences. Proudly, I credit Wesleyan for preparing me for a very successful career.” Don was preceded in death by his first wife. He is survived by his second wife, stepdaughter, two brothers, including Robert “Bob” Hildebrand ’52, and three nephews.