Judith Anne McDonald Thomas-Solomon ’58

Judith Anne McDonald Thomas-Solomon , Class of ’58, resides in Saratoga Springs, NY with her husband, Rabbi Josef Solomon. She continues to concertize solo piano in the area, and with her 4-hand partner, John Ackley of “Four Hands and a Foot”. A 50- year advocate of the Orff Schulwerk approach to group music, and past president of the organization and regular conference presenter, her articles can be read in the Orff Quarterly, “The Echo”, and in her books, such as “The Word in Play: Language, Movement and Music in the Classroom”, Thomas/Katz and more. She is the Music Director of the Saratoga Springs Unitarian church which will be presenting the complete Menotti opera ,“Amahl and the Night Visitors” in December, 2019.

2 thoughts on “Judith Anne McDonald Thomas-Solomon ’58

1. Gerri Wenger Friedberg

Judy,
    What FUN to read about where & what you’re doing & particularly that WE both
    are UU’s & playing for them! I’m in Door Co (18yrs in Egg Harbor) & our Fellowship
    is smaller than NY’s I’m sure, but I get to play a loverly Steinway Grand! Keep up
    the good work!

Reply
  2. Judith Oberholtzer

Judy and Geri,
    What a wonderful “blast from the past” to see both your names and what is happening in your still very busy lives! After IWU I went on to marry Dan, get my Masters in Voice and Artist’s Diploma at the Doctoral level in Opera. I taught voice and performed, mostly in western Massachusetts and northern Connecticut, and we retired here to BayWoods of Annapolis (MD- on the shore of Chesapeake Bay) a year ago. Dan and I have three sons and seven grand children and even tho he suffered a major stroke in 2011 he still remains quite active, in a participatory way, from a wheelchair. Judy, I noticed your church presented “Amahl and the Night Visitors” recently. Isn’t it a gem?! I was lucky to sing the Mother with many talented twelve year olds and it never got “old”. Geri, it sounds like you are still playing up a (piano) storm!
    My best to each of you!
    Judie (Goldthorpe) Oberholtzer

Reply