Spanish 408: Lindsey Peters

Illinois Wesleyan University '19

Arrival

May 19th 2017

While in Japan, I have the fantastic opportunity to be an intern at the World Friendship Center in Hiroshima.  The World Friendship Center was founded in 1965 by an American woman, Barbara Reynolds. Reynolds founded the World Friendship Center with the intention to unite people from all over the world and to educate them on the history of Hiroshima and why we must disband nuclear weapons as well as nuclear energy. In addition to my internship at the World Friendship Center, I will be conducting research based upon public opinion regarding nuclear energy.  Since the 2011 disaster in Fukushima, Japan has seen a first hand account of the dangers that nuclear power plants can induce. However, even today the Japanese government has proposed the reopening and construction of nuclear power plants across the nation. Nuclear power plants propose the incentives of jobs, prosperity, and “clean” energy. While in Japan, I intend to conduct interviews to see what the public truly thinks what will come with nuclear power plants and whether they should/should not be constructed.

Stay tuned for photos and stories while this Spanish/ES major explores Hiroshima. Sayonara!

http://wfchiroshima.com/english/

^read more about the World Friendship Center by following the link above!