Back from Okinawa

Okinawa was an unforgettable experience. I didn’t think my trip to Japan could get any more special and I was fully proven wrong this week. First off, the opportunity to get to stay in such a high-end and authentic hotel in Okinawa is nothing I would have been able to achieve on my own, so I have my company to be thankful for. The flight there was short and sweet, and as soon as I arrived, I was greeted by the PR team who organized the trip and the other representatives from other media/tourism companies. Everyone was really nice, and we got a hotel tour (oh my god! to say the least) and the headed to the beach. The water was so clear and beautiful. I didn’t expect Okinawa to be so forest-like and tropical, but it’s literally a jungle island with a beach! I guess I’m more used to being around sandy beach areas from back home in the Mediterranean Sea. The guides were also wonderful and incredibly accommodating! I got to go to their spa, which was filled with a variety of different sento and onsens. It was incredible.

They had jacuzzies lined up all around their pools with incredible views of the island. I’m a little afraid of heights and our rooms were on the highest floor so it took a little bit of adjusting but it was such a beautiful sight to wake up to. The food was also beyond description, it was gorgeous and delicious, and I got to try a lot of new local dishes.

The next day we woke up early and had a full day ahead of us, we got to stop by the flea market and take some pictures at a famous spot. Then we headed to the middle of the forest, literally, and had a mud buggy experience through the trails inside the forest. Then we had lunch, Okinawa’s famous local soba, and then headed to a coffee farm where we learned a lot about agriculture and got to make and drink our own coffee. It was such a wholesome and intimate experience and I think it might’ve been my favorite part honestly. We then headed to the beach and I spent a few hours in the water and got some really nice shots. We got to attend a special dinner with a set course menu, which included the best wagyu beef I’ve had since being here. I went to the spa again and ending the night with soaking in a hot bath is something I’m going to miss when I go back home. Like, why aren’t onsens so available and accessible everywhere? It’s definitely been my favorite part of being here.

The next morning was our last day and we had a hammock yoga session early and then headed to the beach to ride on the famous glass floor boat where you can see the fish and the corals from the boat. It was absolutely unforgettable and was such a nice way to finish off the trip. I would have done anything to stay a few more days, Okinawa is beyond beautiful and it’s a completely different vibe than Tokyo. The people’s dialect is different, and everyone is much more relaxed and easy-going. I guess living on a beautiful tropical island has that effect on people :)) it honestly kind of reminded me of being at the North Coast in Egypt, where there are many beach towns, and everyone is on ‘island time’ and we just spend our entire summers out in the sun and in the water. I hope I get to go back to Okinawa again and spend some more time there. There were so many families and friends going on trips together, and I hope I can bring my family there when I’m older. It’s such a special place to experience with loved ones.

Please enjoy the photos, I sure enjoyed taking them :))!