Week 5

Hello everyone! Here are my adventures from this week, my fifth week in the Philippines. It seems like these next three weeks might fly by. These past five weeks have been filled with many notable moments – too many to include in this blog.

Building on the campus of the University of Saint Thomas, built in 1611, making it one of the oldest universities in the Philippines.

On Wednesday, I presented basic methodology on tracer studies, with applications for DOST-FNRI. I’m so accustomed to presenting with my peers, not for superiors in a work setting. Overall, this was a notable experience reminding me research methods is something I can actually apply as an undergrad. It was also useful to consider the positive outcomes of tracer studies. My presentation was about twenty minutes, even though I still struggled with screen sharing my PowerPoint. I take that as a good sign though, that there are more in-person events to connect with individuals (though it was awkward professionally).

On Thursday and Friday, I attended the 48th DOST-FNRI Seminar Series at the Manila Hotel. Speakers at the seminar discussed nutrition, data from the national nutrition survey, improving nutrition standards, and much more. The topics were based on [making] nutrition a priority in the new normal, as life seems to be less disrupted as covid-19 cases have decreased. One idea that I genuinely agreed with was shared by Mr. Benjamin G. Tantiansu, “prevention is better than [the] cure ( … ), our approach [to nutrition solutions are] comprehensive”. Nutrition is more than wasting, stunting, or weight variations; genetics, lifestyle, access to food products, and behavioral factors. Considering other factors like recurrent infections help explain micronutrient deficiencies as well.

In an earlier talk, recurrent infections and micronutrient deficiencies were described as two barriers to proper nutrition among Filipinos. One solution includes developing coconut based products, rich in iron and other vital nutrients. Another presentation featured MeaLusog, consisting of three forms of instant noodles with protein, fruit, and vegetables especially helpful in times of disaster. Friday also included several interesting discussions, but I repeatedly checked my news on what would unfortunately become the successful assassination of former Japanese Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe. As other world leaders have stated, may Shinzo Abe rest in eternal peace.

Besides from attending the seminar series, Jessica and I walked to Rizal Park in the evening. Rizal Park is about a five minute walk from the Manila Hotel, which is extremely accessible to visit. We walked in a Japanese garden with pretty architecture creating a peaceful environment overall. Unsurprisingly, I noticed someone meditating near the pond as well.

I’m really glad I went with Jessica to the National Museum of Natural History, Fine Arts, and Anthropology. The way society develops intrigues me, from the behavior of the individuals to the advancements in technology. I love abstract art with geometric features, it’s appears like the art is breaking away though always leaves the viewer with a message.

I thought of my sister Phyllis, who is currently completing a master’s program related to museum studies. Museums are a nice place to explore and relax, though so much work is needed to complete the exhibits. Though a small action, I took some photos of the text featuring the scientist and curation team behind several exhibits.

Outside the National Museum of Fine Arts, the golden cap in the photo is from Manila City Hall, which reminded me of the old capital building in Iowa City (my sister attended the University of Iowa for undergraduate studies).

Another lovely component of this past week was exploring Rizal with Sir Dars. We explored the National Museum of Fine Arts and Intramuros. I felt appreciative of the architecture at Intramuros, considering how the “Walled City” is dated back to Spanish colonialism, specifically the 1570s. Exploring places like Intramuros makes me feel part of something larger than myself, each individual aspect of Intramuros has a story.

And yes, this week I took the most photos I’ve taken on this trip. Sometimes I feel awkward taking photos, but the photos will be so nice to have in the long run.