Philippines week 1!

Hello everyone!

I made it through my first week in the Philippines, and I’m excited for this adventure to continue. Some of my peers have traveled internationally before, though this is actually my first time leaving America. I wrote about traveling as a goal in my college application essays, and I’m starting to follow through with my goal.

Air travel consisted of a 13 hour flight to Doha, Qatar, a layover, then a nine hour flight to Paranaque, Philippines. The flights went well, and luckily there was minimal turbulence – which reassured me even though flying is statistically safer than driving.  

Terminal 1, NAIA

If security customs and covid-19 weren’t concerns, I would love to travel to Doha in the future. Regardless, my travel to the Philippines went well even though I initially thought it was Friday, not Saturday until my peers helped orient myself. I would be more stressed if I wasn’t completing this internship with my peers, and the support from many other kind individuals.

After arriving in Los Banos after a short car ride last Saturday, my peers and I stayed in SEARCA hotel for two days for some rest and orientation. It’s fascinating to live in a completely different country from the U.S. and try new food. Chicken adobo is one common dish in the Philippines, and Balut (fertilized unhatched chicken) is also a delicacy to Filipinos.

Los Banos park, photo taken on walk to breakfast while staying at SEARCA hotel

On Tuesday I walked with my fellow FNRI intern, Jessica, to FNRI for our orientation. Orientation included tours of labs, including biochemistry labs, PCR equipment, and one of the only exercise physiology labs in the Philippines.

Traveling to Tagaytay, Philippines on Friday included a scenic drive and an afternoon nutrition forum. Staff from the Department of Science and Technology organized the forum, and workers from several food service companies attended. Most importantly, the forum focused on combatting malnutrition in children. Though the Philippines did not meet some previous goals on decreasing malnutrition in the past decade, the government is committed to improving.

Ridge overlooking Taal volcano, credit to Google

My first project at the FNRI is conducting research with previous literature, a very independent project so far. After this initial literature research and review of related literature, I’ll gradually work towards formulating a survey for FNRI.

One aspect of culture in the Philippines is the love for singing and Karaoke. Roberto del Rosario invented a karaoke machine in the 1970s, and the culture of the Philippines would be different without the love for singing. A week before I left for the Philippines, I had planned to attend a AJR concert, though my plans changed.

Over the course of this past week, I have been shown so much kindness and generosity. I am not surprised by this, but I am incredibly grateful. I have so much knowledge to gain and so much to explore while I complete my internship through FNRI.

At the end of my internship my peers and I will present key points from our internship at the Manila Hotel.

Manila Hotel, prestigious hotel in the Philippines. Credit to Google

This upcoming week will be busy, and I’m hoping all will be well. New post next Sunday!

One response to “Philippines week 1!