Sylvia Rusin ’13

I presented on July 8th at Sigma Delta Pi’s inaugural “Best Practices” session for the 95th Annual National American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP) held in San Antonio, Texas from July 8-11 2013. 

There were 4 presenters in total, and all of us presented on either one or multiple successful events we organized throughout the school year through Sigma Delta Pi. My presentation focused on the November 8, 2012 “Understanding the Daily life of Undocumented Youth” event which hosted Dr. Roberto Gonzales from the University of Chicago (now at Harvard).  I talked about how I went about organizing the event, who I collaborated with, how I successfully integrated community members as well as students in the event, and what made the event a success overall. The idea of the session was for educators to listen to the reasons behind the success of our events and hopefully use some of our ideas on their own campuses. 

San Antonio AATSP