Darryn Dunbar ’90 became the director of critical care and emergency services at The Queen’s Medical Center’s West Oahu campus in Honolulu, in December 2019. Darryn, who earned a doctorate in nursing practice from Johns Hopkins University last year, first visited Queen’s 20 years ago as an Illinois Wesleyan student on a January Term transcultural nursing trip.
Robert Stone ’90 of Fox Lake, Illinois, died Oct. 24, 2019. He was 51. Bob studied accounting at Illinois Wesleyan, where he was also active in Theta Chi. He was a lifetime Mason and certified public accountant. He supported his children in all their endeavors and especially enjoyed watching his daughter perform and his son play baseball. He is survived by his wife, two children father, stepmother, four siblings, and many nieces, nephews and friends.
Here are ways to virtually engage with IWU and fellow Titans:
- Performances from IWU alumni, students and faculty
Contact us at email@example.com if you have a virtual performance to share. Follow the School of Theatre Arts Facebook page for posts about performances by students and alumni.
- Back to College Classes
Check out videos of previous classes featuring alumni.
- Take part in Titan Talks: Webinar Series
We are excited to launch this series featuring alumni, faculty and staff.
- Start a Titan Group
Have you been wanting to start a book club? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help connect you to other interested alumni.
- IWU Social Media
Follow Illinois Wesleyan University Alumni Association social media for the latest updates and announcements – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.
- Virtual Titan Connections
We miss connecting with Titans in person, but we would love to see photos or videos from your virtual connections. Show your Titan pride and tag IWU Alumni Association (@IWU_AlumniAssoc) on Twitter and (@illinoiswesleyanalumni) on Facebook. You can also post in your Regional Alumni Chapter’s Facebook group, reunion group, or affinity group.
- Titan Challenges
Challenge your fellow Titans to a virtual 5K or fitness challenge. Be sure to wear your favorite Titan gear and share a photo on social media or you can send it to email@example.com.
- To share a word of support for your classmates at this time, submit a post to your class newsletter by emailing your editor or if your class does not have an editor, send your post to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can provide support to the Titan Student Emergency Fund. This fund will provide relief to students with needs such as housing, travel, moving and storage, transportation and vehicle repair, and technology needs related to remote learning.
- If you have expertise or a career opportunity that you can share with students, please connect with a Hart Career Center staff member for a phone or video appointment through a Handshake account here. You can also post job and internship opportunities on the site. View FAQs here.
- University Archives & Special Collections wants to hear your experiences and reflections to keep a historical record of the impact of the pandemic on the Illinois Wesleyan community, you can learn more here.
- Assist the IWU Admissions team in student recruitment efforts. Our alumni are the best and most qualified to meet with prospective students to share your IWU experience. Sign up here: Titan Alumni Ambassadors.
- You can see more ideas here.
Thank-A-Giver Day (TAG Day) is Monday, February 10. This day provides the IWU campus community with the opportunity to thank donors who support Illinois Wesleyan. IWU celebrates each year in mid-February because it marks the symbolic point during the academic year – about 70% of the way through – when we rely on support from alumni and friends, our endowment, and external grants.
If you would like to be celebrated as a donor today, you can make a gift at iwu.edu/give.
Thank you to Karla Bailey-Smith ’90, who is serving as the charge artist for the IWU musical The Life, showing November 20-24.
Karla Bailey-Smith ’90 has announced her intent to run for a seat in the Illinois House of Representatives. To read more about why Karla is running, click here.
Best of luck to you, Karla!
Illinois Wesleyan University Homecoming
October 4-6, 2019
We are looking forward to another great Homecoming this fall! Your story started here, and Illinois Wesleyan University helped guide your path to where you are today.
This is cause for celebration! Come back to campus on October 4-6 to celebrate, reminisce, and revisit your story.
Darryn Dunbar ’90, Director of Online Nursing Programs and professor at Stratford University, discussed how he delivers preparedness and passion to nursing students.
You can see the full story here.
Tony Kaufman and wife Lori (Piper) Kaufman ’88 with daughter legacy graduate Alyssa Kaufman.
Photo: Robert (Trey) Frank ’14