Michael Cooper ’77

Michael Cooper ’77 has written a new play, The Sunflower Apostle, inspired by Oscar Wilde’s first visit to America in 1882 when he was twenty-seven years old, prior to literary fame. On December 24, 1881, Mr. Wilde sailed from Liverpool, England to New York City to embark on an American lecture tour addressing audiences with his lecture entitled, “The Decorative Arts”. That spring, Mr. Wilde arrived in Bloomington, Illinois to speak at the local Durley Hall for one evening only. A progressive women’s club in town sponsored his visit and rallied a curious sold-out crowd to see him.

Michael says that “During the pandemic, I decided to write a play based upon a story I heard while attending IWU. My research proved quite worthy, and I wrote THE SUNFLOWER APOSTLE, based upon Oscar Wilde’s one-time visit to Bloomington, IL. The Alchemy Theatre produced the premiere reading of this new play on October 29, 2021, with plans now to produce a full production in their 2023 Season, after which I will submit for publication or future performances at other theatres.”

5 thoughts on “Michael Cooper ’77

• Hi Heidi–It’s been a long while and I miss you, too! So great to hear from you and let’s do re-connect. All my best,
      Michael

1. Great job Michael. Are you in Austin. Will possibly be coming down there the last week in April & would love to see you.

• Thank you, Larry! I am in Austin currently, in rehearsals for the musical that was postponed due to the pandemic 2 years ago. I will be here the last week of April as the show opens beginning of May. Let me know when you’re in town and I’m sure I can sneak out of a rehearsal early to meet!
      All best,
      Michael

2. Hey Coop:
    It’s amazing how often I think back to the learning curve and life lessons of “Dancers.” Thanks for your patience with me! Trust you are well. Put me on your list of fans and friends to keep up-to-date with your creative exploits. jaypayleitner@me.com
    Best always,
    /jay