Jon Merritt ’65: 50th Reunion Memories

After graduation, I taught in northern Illinois for three years. Then I ran off to Alaska for seven years where I became a bush pilot in the summer and taught in a one room Inuit school in the winter. I finished graduate school in Oregon in the mid-seventies and finally got a normal job becoming an elementary school principal and school counselor in Portland for the better part of 30 years.  I wrote a couple of self-help books for parents in the early 90’s and that kept me busy consulting for a few years.  I also edited a professional journal for some years.

My wife Cathy was chair of a college counseling/advising dept. for many years.  We have three kids and five grand kids who are scattered in location.

We spend winter south of Tucson, Arizona (almost at the border) and then summer in central Oregon.  Now I golf and play music.  I have a blues band called The Slow Lane Cruisers and we keep busy.  It’s marvelous to see 90 year olds dance to us!  Cathy and I travel as often as we can.

I do plan to go to Homecoming.  Jim Keefe and I have been visiting one another every summer since college and would have enjoyed being there together.  It will be a sadder reunion because Jim died the first week in December

One thought on “Jon Merritt ’65: 50th Reunion Memories