Sharon (Stewart) Lilly ’65: 50th Reunion Memories

I started as Home Health Supervisor, Visiting Nurse Association, Decatur, IL and wrote a grant through the Older Americans Act which started their Mobil Meals program. From there I became the Training & Education Coordinator, Decatur Macon Co Hospital; Nursing Consultant, and then Coordinator of Professional Services for Americana Nursing Centers, Monticello, IL with 40 nursing homes in 9 states.

1970 I married Charles E “Chuck” Lilly and soon after we moved to Denver, Co. where he became the Associate Administrator, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital and I became Nursing Consultant for the Colorado Health Care Association working with nursing homes throughout Colorado. Then we were on to Ann Arbor, Ml as Director of Education for (CPHA) The Commission on Professional and Hospital Activities working with Hospitals throughout the United States, Canada, and Porta Rico.

In 1978 I received the Robert M. Montgomery Young Alumna Award from Illinois Wesleyan University.

When the five facilities my husband built, opened and managed in Ml were sold we moved on to Lima, Ohio, Chuck as VP of HCF and I as Allied Health Coordinator for the Medical College of Ohio Lima Area Health Education Center (LAHEC), Lima, OH. During this time I also became active in the Lima Hospital Auxiliary becoming Auxiliary President and later Ohio Hospital Association State Auxiliary Leader, as well as, Regional Physician Service Representative, Toledo Hospital.

Family health required that we return to Decatur, IL and Decatur Macon County Hospital, now as Decatur Memorial Hospital hired  Chuck as VP of Community Services and I  as Physician Service Representative, so we were back home. 1995 Chuck retired, and I continued working, managing an Internal Medicine practice and working as a Realtor. We moved to what we thought was our retirement home at Lake Ozark, MO. I worked part time at a skilled nursing home and as a Missouri Certified Instructor for the Certified Medication Technician course.

2008 Chuck was diagnosed with Amnesic Cognitive Impairment and we decided to get closer to family. A move to a gated community, Villas of Stonecrest, half way between Saline, Ml and Evansville, IN was selected and Columbus, IN became our new home. After being a licensed RN in 5 states I decided to retire as well. I am still volunteering and active in Columbus Regional Health Auxiliary now as 1st VP.

2014 I was diagnosed with Advanced Degenerative Joint Disease of the jaw, Chronic Fibrosing Osteomyelitis, and lschemic Bone Disease secondary to medications taken for Osteoporosis. After working with Dr. Chris Brown DDS., MPS, Southeastern Indiana Center for Orofacial Pain Diagnosis and Rehabilitation, I am taking each day at a time…trying to enjoy each day with my husband of 45 years. I have one step-daughter, one granddaughter and 2 great grandchildren.  Chuck’s younger sister is in a memory center in Evansville, and we visit with her husband and family.

So the moral of the story is not to store the memories because they may not be there but to enjoy every minute and every day because they may be your last memories! Although we will not be with you at the 50th reunion my thoughts will be there.

Sharon R. Lilly