Monthly Archives: December 2016

Other Experiences

I have studied voice for 9 years and I have taught private voice lessons. Some of my past teachers include Dr. Jennifer Schuetz (4 years) and Tricia Toledo (3 years). I have privately studied piano (5 years) and have experience in clarinet (5 years).

Additionally, I have taken the following courses outside of the common music major load:

• Foundations and Principles of Teaching Music
  • Brass Techniques
  • Woodwind Techniques
  • String Techniques
  • Percussion Techniques
  • Voice Techniques
  • Vocal Pedagogy
  • Jazz Theory, Harmony, and Arranging
  • History of Renaissance Music
  • History of Post WWII Music
  • Music & the Exceptional Child
  • Elementary/General Music Methods
  • Instrumental Music Methods
  • Choral Music Methods
  • Orchestration
  • Reading, Writing, and Communicating in the Content Area
  • Piano Class (4 semesters)
  • Music Theory (4 Semesters)

I have also been a part of as well as lead a cappella and vocal jazz groups. I spent my second-semester senior year assistant directing the women’s vocal jazz group at IWU, Friday’s at Noon, as an independent study.

Additionally, I have worked as assistant music director on Irving Berlin’s White Christmas at Normal Community West High School as well as Shrek, Jr. at Bloomington Jr. High School. Through these experiences I collaborated with other directors, parents, and students to create musical theatre.

Curwen Hand Signs

In almost every choir classroom, there is a poster of hand signs representing the major scale as created by John Curwen. In my classroom, our hand signs were small, unlabelled, and did not have the chromatics.

img_0610

Curwen Handsigns

This example is built on 8 1/2″ x 11″ paper that is backed by different colors: blue is the major scale, green is sharps, and red is flats.

This visual is then used as an aid for sight-reading, understanding solfege relationships, and eventually more challenging music theory concepts. In my advanced women’s group, we used the Curwen hand signs as a visual aid to understand how the scale can be used to build harmony and chords. Then, we were able to talk about progressions and how they relate to solfege.

This is available as a printable, just email me.

The Rhythm Tree

In my elementary classroom, there were some difficulties understanding the relationships between rhythmic values. So! I recreated the idea of the rhythm tree in a colorful visual!

img_0390

The Rhythm Tree

This was then used with first through fifth grades to help relate rhythm values. Additionally, all of the rhythms are movable, so different examples can be built and used for different lessons.

Commitment to Students

I am committed to providing a positive learning environment for my students and offering them a challenging, yet encouraging atmosphere that helps them succeed. This is done through largely leaving the students’ grades up to them through reflections and completion grades. For example, every student evaluates their performance after their concert as well as their own behaviors in class. Additionally, the atmosphere in my classroom encourages active participation through the music and attempts to refrain from the standard “stand up, sit down” performance, students regularly use the classroom space to experiment with different formations like circles and different seating charts in order to better hear different parts of the choir.

My commitment to students extends to diverse populations through my placements at Sheridan and Normal West schools. When as student needs personal attention I strive to connect with that student in order to better connect the material. This is usually with my special needs students, however, this also happens when students ask, “Why are we doing this?” There was a period of time when my students were confused with some warm-ups and I used the opportunity to better explain vocal technique and pedagogy.

Connecting Tissues between Theory Lessons and Music

As we approach the middle of the year, most music teachers hope that all of the students are on the same plane of theory knowledge or at least close. There will still be some stragglers and some over-achievers, but the hope is that the middle of the road holds the majority of the class. In my freshman high school choir classroom, we realized that there was a large gap in knowledge between how to read notes on the staff and connecting to key signatures and eventually their music. In order to close the gap, we held two lessons to support the connective tissue.

Lesson 1:

1. Warm-up – essential to start every day even if you are not singing! This gets students ready and focused for class .
  2. Review what students (hopefully) already know.
    1. Skip EGBDF and FACE. Those are tools that can only be used to identify single notes on the staff, but not the most common scalar patterns.
    2. Use the Musical Alphabet. By teaching students ABCDEFG-ABCDEFG, they will soon begin to understand the logic in music, rather than trying to memorize strange patterns.
  3. Practice reading notes on a staff.
    1. While this step seems ridiculous, practicing reading individual notes on the staff is like practicing reading letters prior to sentences.
    2. Use MusicTheory.net to practice reading notes on the staff!
  4. Apply notes on the staff to the major scale
    1. Write out a C major scale
    2. Write out the notes names
    3. Connect it to solfege (and write it out!)
      1. Despite my utter hatred for writing out solfege, this kinetic step helps students further their understanding of the connections.
      2. If there is additional time, have students write out some of the solfege in their music, or in another example.

End of Day 1

Lesson 2

2. Review Lesson 1 (note names on the staff) – perhaps with some practice on a white board or Smart Board.
  3. Build a major scale in another key and compare it to C
    1. We used the Key of D because our goal was to connect it to Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus from The Messiah.
    2. Map out the whole and half steps
    3. Use accidentals within the scale (no key signature)
  4. (Re)introduce key signatures
    1. Note that if all accidentals were in the music, the music would be even more confusing! (Do not mention functions, that’s way over their head!)
    2. Mention that accidentals are used so that the major scale sounds the same in every key (whole steps and half steps).
  5. Finding Do
    1. Walk through sharps (last sharp is “ti”)
    2. Walk through flats (last flat is “fa” or second to last flat is “do”)
  6. Practice the skill!
    1. Use MusicTheory.net to practice reading key signatures
    2. Start slow, limiting students to 3 sharps or flats, then add more.
  7. Connect it to your music!
    1. Find what key each piece of your music is in!
    2. Watch for minor keys! We’re still only talking major

End of Lesson 2

These lessons can span anywhere from 2 to 5 days and the practice should be throughout the semester.

Here is a handy dandy “Cheat Sheet” that is a great handout for students: musictheorycheatsheet-level1

Grading Classroom Behaviors

In a high school classroom, it is becoming exceedingly difficult to objectively grade classroom behaviors as administrators would like us to since the music classroom is not as “cut and dry” as the other subjects. So, my cooperating teacher and I further developed the Standard Based Daily Rehearsal Rubric. A rubric that students can use for self-evaluation and teachers can use for student evaluation. It is incredibly specific with Musicianship, Attentiveness, Preparedness, and Attitude categories.

Daily Rehearsal Rubric

Download as a PDF: standardbaseddailyrehearsalrubric

The Ultimate Vowel Chart

The Vowel Pyramid clearly states all of the most common vowels in an easy to understand chart. While the IPA chart is useful, it can sometimes be confusing because not all of the vowels are always used, nor does it provide English support language for each vowel. It also includes how the vowel is formed and compares it to other vowels.

vowel-chart

This chart is great as a print out for students or as a large visual in the classroom. Additionally, the Latin vowels are highlighted, as those tend to be the most common vowels that choir teachers relate to.

Available A Cappella Arragements

As of December 2016, most of my arrangements are for women’s a cappella. They are regularly performed by Touch of Class at IWU. If you would like one of these arrangments, they are available for purchase in pdf format as well as possible audio files. Please email me!

Available arrangements:

• Wrecking Ball/Summertime Sadness (Miley Cyrus/Lana Del Rey)
  • I Feel the Earth Move (Carole King)
  • Shout Out My Ex/Miss Movin On (Fifth Harmony/Little Mix)
  • Call Me Maybe (Carly Rae Jepsen)
  • Candy Store from Heathers: the Musical (O’Keefe/Murphy)
  • Delilah (Florence and the Machine)

More on the way!

Visit the Touch of Class Facebook page for videos of performances!

Using Technology

I love utilizing technology in the classroom. Whether this means a Smart Board activity, using Noteflight to build visuals for warm-ups, or finding a YouTube video to either use an audio example of a piece or finding an accompaniment to a piece. I am proficient in the following technologies:

• Google Suite (Sites, Drive, Drawings, Classroom)
  • Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher)
  • Photoshop
  • WordPress
  • Noteflight and Finale
  • Smart Board Notebook
  • MusicTheory.net and Sight-reading Factory

Additionally, I have helped peers and colleagues learn and understand the technologies as well in order to better incorporate technology in their classroom.

To me, technology is necessary for this century’s classroom and therefore there is no reason not to organically integrate it into each lesson. This can be done through a posted agenda, visuals for warm-ups, and excerpts of music in Smart Notebook to make notes. However, technology doesn’t have to stop at teacher actions.

However, technology doesn’t have to stop at teacher actions. Students can fill out their concert reflection on Google Forms and submit them, as well as other work finished through Google Suite, onto Google Classroom. Google Classroom serves as a virtual dropbox for you students whereas the teacher you can post announcements and assignments, as well as make comments on student work and grade them.

In this year’s classroom, there is absolutely no reason for students’ technology to sit idly by while their hands are itching to use it.