Taking The Scenic Route

Before embarking on my trip to the Philippines I decided to spend some much needed time at home in South Africa — I hadn’t seen my family in a year so I was eager to head home for a few weeks.

During my time at home, my family and I spent a weekend away in the “bushveld” — a South African term used to describe a wild savannah terrain, usually abundant with a variety of African wildlife — where we caught up, “braaied” (South African barbecue), and went on a Safari drive in search of some wildlife.

My sister (right) and I (left) — If you look closely, there’s a double rainbow!

Another week at home was spent in Durban where I was able to see my grandmother for the first time in about 3 years. We went to the beach, had some famous Durban Curry, and ate WAY to much ice cream. I was also attacked by a sting-ray on the very first day that we arrived at the beach — note to self: watch where you’re walking, especially in the sea.

My sister and I at Amanzimtoti Beach, KZN, South Africa. Everyone says we look like twins — I don’t see it.

It was definitely a jam-packed 4 weeks at home but it was the perfect way to begin the summer and a great way to transition into my trip to the Philippines!

Look out for my next post because I will officially be in the Philippines!

“May your adventures bring you closer together, even as they take you far away from home.”

— Trenton Lee Stewart