My Friend Has Down Syndrome

Title – My Friend Has Down Syndrome

Author(s) – Jennifer Moore-Mallinos

Illustrator/Photographer – Marta Fabrega

Publisher and Year – B.E.S Publishing, October 1, 2008

Number of pages – 31 pages

Tags/Themes – Rylie Loux, Emotion, Friendship, Diversity, Fiction, K-5

Genre – Fiction

Descriptive Annotation: This book is about a little girl at camp that shares her experience of meeting her best friend, Tammy. The little girl is asked to be her buddy, as Tammy will need extra help. The little girl reveals that Tammy has Down syndrome. Many of the children at the camp had many questions about Down Syndrome but after the counselors explained to them, they were ready and willing to help her feel included and happy at camp. In the end, the little girls shares that Tammy teachers her things too, and that they are a great team because they learn from each other.

Classroom Application:  This book explains to children what Down Syndrome is, in terms that they can understand. This would be a great book to read to children to teach them that it is all right to be different and the importance of being accepting of each of their classmates. “But last summer was the best camp ever, because that’s when I met Tammy.” This little girl explains how she and Tammy became best friends. This is an example of how to accept people for who they really are.  This shows students that everyone can become best friends with a student with Down Syndrome. No one else at the camp had Down Syndrome besides Tammy but she fit right in. This helps students learn that they are both good at different things and that by helping each other overcome their fears and difficulties they can accomplish anything together.

Linguistic and Cultural Diversity Analysis: The main ideology that is presented is that just because someone is different from you doesn’t mean they have to be judged or singled out.

The children reading this book will have lots of things to consider such as the feelings of others. “When Ms. Teresa asked me if I wanted to be Tammy’s buddy I got excited!” This quote is an example that teaches life lessons to not judge people because of a disability and that it does not define someone.One of the best things about this story is that it proves that children can help those who might have disabilities, but they can also learn a lot from them as well.