Laura Bonds ’16 was part of a Sports career panel on March 10, 2021, which gave insight for students interested in working in the sports industry. Our versatile alumni panelists have worked with the Chicago Bulls, Chicago Blackhawks, Chicago Fire, and more.
Anissa (Otiz) Mowbray ’16 and her husband, Cole, welcomed the newest addition to their family, Thomas David Elijah Mowbray, on March 3, 2020. Congratulations to them!
Monday, February 8 is Thank-A-Giver Day at Illinois Wesleyan and we’re eager to celebrate generous Titans!
Thank-A-Giver (TAG) Day is the symbolic point during the academic year — about 70% of the way through — when tuition dollars are exhausted and Illinois Wesleyan relies on donor generosity to continue providing a world-class education and rewarding collegiate experiences.
Each and every year, every gift matters. Contributions benefit students and faculty, enhance academic excellence, and strengthen the IWU community.
Thank you to all who give back to move IWU forward.
Since matriculating into Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, Meaghan Mormann ’16 has held leadership positions in the American Medical Association, the American Medical Student Association, and the Latino and Native American Medical Association. She has also volunteered with the Care Free Clinic pharmacy assistance program and with Cristo Rey Community Health Center in Lansing providing translation services in their primary care clinic. Her fluency in Spanish and work with underserved, immigrant patient populations led Meaghan to join the College’s Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved certificate program. Through this program she has worked intimately with Flint’s Pediatric Public Health Initiative, engaging with many of the issues left in the wake of the Flint Water Crisis. She has aided in the distribution of food and water to members of the community and assisted on a project to teach children about several health-related topics including physical activity, use of the internet, mental and sexual health. Meaghan has also worked with Flint Public Schools to bring HIV/AIDS and Hands-Only CPR training to those middle-schools and high-school students. She has also helped to develop a curriculum to promote self-efficacy skills to residents of a transitional living residence for runaway youth. Meaghan has also participated in several research projects investigating barriers to reproductive health care amongst Latina patients and surveying the Hispanic/Latino communities in Flint related to their experiences with the Flint Water Crisis. She presented this first project at the 41st Annual Family Medicine Research Day. Meaghan earned Honors in her Surgery I, Surgery II, Psychiatry, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics clerkships. Meaghan was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society Gamma Chapter on November 15, 2019. Meaghan earned her MD and will be completing her residency in pediatrics at Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago and hopes to build a career working within a critical care environment with patients who are underserved.
- To share a word of support for your classmates at this time, submit a post to your class newsletter by emailing your editor or if your class does not have an editor, send your post to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can provide support to the Titan Student Emergency Fund. This fund will provide relief to students with needs such as housing, travel, moving and storage, transportation and vehicle repair, and technology needs related to remote learning.
- If you have expertise or a career opportunity that you can share with students, please connect with a Hart Career Center staff member for a phone or video appointment through a Handshake account here. You can also post job and internship opportunities on the site. View FAQs here.
- University Archives & Special Collections wants to hear your experiences and reflections to keep a historical record of the impact of the pandemic on the Illinois Wesleyan community, you can learn more here.
- Assist the IWU Admissions team in student recruitment efforts. Our alumni are the best and most qualified to meet with prospective students to share your IWU experience. Sign up here: Titan Alumni Ambassadors.
- You can see more ideas here.
Thank-A-Giver Day (TAG Day) is Monday, February 10. This day provides the IWU campus community with the opportunity to thank donors who support Illinois Wesleyan. IWU celebrates each year in mid-February because it marks the symbolic point during the academic year – about 70% of the way through – when we rely on support from alumni and friends, our endowment, and external grants.
If you would like to be celebrated as a donor today, you can make a gift at iwu.edu/give.
Amanda Macuiba ’16 qualified for the Olympic Trials in the marathon, set to take place in February. Amanda ran the California International Marathon in 2:44:29, beating the qualifying time of 2:45:00. Click here to read more about Amanda’s accomplishment.
Good luck, Amanda! We are rooting for you!
Thank you to Moyo Ajayi ’16 for participating in the Hart Career Center luncheon with students on November 13th, which included alumni of finance, accounting, business, and computer science backgrounds.
Lia Gewargis (Analitis) ‘16 and Raymond Gewargis were wed on July 27, 2019 in Atheras, Kefalonia, Greece.
Congratulations to the happy couple!