Durham ‘Durrie” Monsma ’68 Retires Then Decompresses by Taking a Trip Around the World

Durrie retired as a publisher of Tribune CT dailies (Stamford Advocate/Greenwich Time) just as the industry started its downward slide. He enjoyed success with the papers twice being named as New England Newspaper of the Year. He and wife Robbie then decompressed with a trip around the world. They eventually relocated back in Colorado where they both lead hikes for the Colorado Mountain Club. Durrie writes ‘I feed my hopeless newspaper addiction by serving on the board of the Colorado Independent, an online nonprofit publication staffed by former columnists and writers from the Denver Post.’ Durrie is also celebrating his 17th year on the board of a foundation that helps needy LA Times employees and retirees as well as the working poor of Los Angeles. This enables Durrie to visit two children in Santa Barbara and their older daughter in Laguna Beach. As a loyal IWU alum Durrie also served as a member of the Board of Trustees for IWU for 5 years.

Durrie also shared one of his fond memories at IWU…the Commons Cafeteria where Captain Crunch was served for dinner when they ran out of food. Does anyone else remember that night? As I recall Captain Crunch was served as chow mien noodles. Feel free to post any special memories you might have of the Commons back in the 60’s!

This entry was posted in News by jdew. Bookmark the permalink.

About jdew

Hi. I am Jill Wyatt Dew'68. I am "retired". I balance my time between volunteering and enjoying 4 grandchildren! Both roles keep me quite busy!

One thought on “Durham ‘Durrie” Monsma ’68 Retires Then Decompresses by Taking a Trip Around the World

1. I really enjoyed the Christmas dinner that was put on for the students every year before we left for the Christmas break. The lights would be dimmed, and we would listen to Christmas carols and have Wassail while waiting in line for our dinner. We were expected to dress up for that dinner.