SUSAN HERRS MITCHELL ’65: 50th Reunion Memories

Thanks to Carol Thompson Sheldon, our memories are being jogged as we approach our 50th Illinois Wesleyan reunion.  How is this possible!!  It parallels our 50th wedding anniversary  which will be July 10, 2015 — I married Bob Mitchell (Class of ’64), an art major who went on to Southern Illinois University in Carbondale for his MFA.

Wesleyan prepared us well to try several careers and to be open to learning new things.  I helped Bob through graduate school by working at the SIU registrar’s office, using my H.S. typing & shorthand skills that my mother promised would always help me get a job!  After our year there, we moved to Dade City, Florida where he taught ceramics and metalsmithing at St. Leo College.  Our only child, David, was born that year also.  Then on to Arkansas State University in Jonesboro for 14 years–Bob teaching and I taught private piano in the home.

But, after taking some accounting courses at ASU, I found myself working in a bank trust department.  This was the beginning of a long career as an employee benefit trust officer in banks in Arkansas, Wisconsin, North Carolina and Florida.  Bob left teaching when we moved to Green Bay, and he then worked from home, blending his art background and his computer skills–as the business manager of the Society of North American Goldsmiths.

In 2007, we both retired and moved from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to Southern New Mexico–fifty miles from El Paso, Texas and the US–Mexico border.  Las Cruces is a wonderful city in the high desert, 3 hours south of Albuquerque.  We are both very involved at Peace Lutheran Church, and I have returned to my first “career” – playing the piano for fun as well as occasionally at church.

Our son David, daughter-in-law Terry and 17-year old granddaughter Kate live in Medford, just 12 miles north of Boston.  We visit back and forth and wish they were closer to our part of the country.  We’ll be taking them to London for a week in May–sort of a high school graduation trip for Kate.  Bob and I have traveled to places like Egypt, Greece, Germany, and a few others–hoping for more travel ahead as long as our health holds up!

Susan Mitchell '65_cruise2

Bob ’64 and Susan ’65 Mitchell