Lillian (Buckbee) Van Order ’65: 50th Reunion Memories

Lillian has some news she would like to share:

After graduating with a teachers’ certificate I moved to Palatine.  Then it was a way-out suburb of Chicago where I taught speech for a year.  During that year I reconnected with a boyfriend from my summers in Maine working as a camp counselor.  The rest is history as they say; we were married December of ’66 and still are.

He taught middle school (then junior high) in a private school outside Boston.  They graciously gave me a job as librarian assistant and teaching one or two classes.  I fell in love with the uniqueness of the middle schoolers, especially boys.  This was a good thing since that became my career!

From Fessenden School, in Boston area we moved to Eaglebrook School in Deerfield MA where we spent 27 great years, working in a dorm, keeping the library functioning, getting a Masters in Education.  Bill taught math, and coached all three seasons.  In the summers we spent many years working at the camp Bill attended as a boy.  It was a good life and there we raised our two children.  Louise was born in Boston and moved to Deerfield at age two, and Alan was born in Deerfield.

When Bill, a Chattanoogan, golfer and 6 years my senior, wanted to retire we moved to Wilmington, North Carolina.  We have no family here, but have great weather, golf pretty much year round, and lots to do.  I was lucky and got a position in the library at Cape Fear Academy here.  It was a wonderful job, terrific folks as colleagues and I got to have library classes for the lower school.  The last step of my career in education gave me an opportunity to work with three age groups, elementary, middle and high school.  I had the most connection with the little ones but saw and got to know all three divisions.  I was there for 16 years and retired in June 2012.

Bill still enjoys golf, and I am enjoying all the things around town that I said I would do when I retired.  Church activities keep me connected with the kids, and Cape Fear River Watch connects me to the environment.  I also became involved with AAUW ( American Association of University Women) that had a branch here.  I worked with many terrific women across the state at the state level of AAUW and have attended several of the National Conventions.  Since we continued our summer work at the boys’ camp and have a cabin in Maine we get our “New England” fix in the summers. And the children come to Maine as well.

Our children now have children.  We have 4 granddaughters, two are Louise’s and we visit them in Putney VT and two we see in DC with Alan.  They range in age from 10 to under a year, if you read this before May 2015.

I see Susan Hodge Hoover at AAUW National Conventions and a few other Kappa Delta’s on Facebook.  I would love to connect with some more folks.