Stevenson Hall Classroom Computer Updates

A message from Rick Lindquist about equipment updates in Stevenson Hall:

As you know, the building is still undergoing numerous changes. We are all concerned about the readiness of classroom technology as we approach the first day of classes.
Our AV integrator will be in Stevenson on Friday to finish his work in the classrooms. My hope is that he will be able to complete his work early enough to provide training to our IT Services staff as well as any teachers who are available. However at this time I do not know what time he will be ready to walk through the new room systems. I will provide details as they become available.

If the AV integration work is not complete in all rooms by Monday I will either find a way to technologically improvise in your room or assist in temporarily relocating class sessions.
We have ordered new Mac Mini computers for the classroom spaces in Stevenson, although they won’t be usable until the integrator completes work on the audio and video systems. The Mac Minis will function exactly the same as the ones found in State Farm Hall.

Each room will have a wireless keyboard and mouse so there is no need to be tied to the AV cabinets any longer. Feel free to operate the teacher’s station from anywhere in the room!

There are two concerns related to the switch to Mac that I’d like to briefly address.

First, I would like the Mac Minis to stay powered on all day. They are programmed to turn off and on automatically at night to save power. I find it to be disruptive if the Mac is unexpectedly powered off between classes, but it can happen. There is a power indicator light on the front of the Mac (in the photo below the Mac is turned off, so the indicator is just a small black dot):
unnamed
I’ve added a big red arrow to the image pointing to the rear right corner of the Mac. The power button is located back there. One press and the indicator light will come on and the Mac will start up.
Second, some people need Windows software for their classes. We recognize this and have installed software called VMWare Fusion that allows Windows to run on a Mac. All you need to do is click the VMWare icon:
unnamed-1
A Windows 7 screen will take over. It may require clicking the big “play button” to get Windows going:
unnamed-2
After that, Windows will fill the screen:
unnamed-3
I would only recommend using Windows if you need to use SPSS or demonstrate something from the Windows perspective. The Mac has web browsers, PDF readers, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and other software that is analogous to the Windows platform. It saves a few seconds to stay with the Mac when pulling up a Moodle page, playing a slide show or reviewing an article online.
I’m looking forward to working with all of you in the amazing new Stevenson classroom spaces!