Intro: Habitat for Humanity Collegiate Build

Hi Titans! My name is Teagan Potter. Here at IWU, I’m a junior who is double majoring in English Literature and International Studies and minoring in Hispanic Studies. I’m from Edwardsville, Illinois (about a half hour out of St. Louis), and this is my very first Alternative Spring Break trip. I couldn’t be more excited to start this upcoming week!

When you think of Spring Break in college, you probably think a week of soaking up the sun on a packed beach in Florida, but Alternative Spring Break could not be more different. Although the ASBers (Alternative Spring Breakers) are composed of all college students plus a few neat supervisors, their experience is geared more toward service. ASBers dedicate their week off from stressful classes to working with the Habitat for Humanity community to help build homes in a certain area. This year, the trip is headed to Birmingham, Alabama!

To be honest, ASB wasn’t even on my radar as a way to spend my Spring Break because I hadn’t heard anything about it, but when the time came for applications, my roommate told me about her experiences freshman year and said that I “had to sign up.” She told me that she not only spent her time doing good for other people but also learned way more than she thought possible about construction and Habitat for Humanity. Within five minutes, she managed to convince me to join the ASB trip!

– Teagan Potter ’19