It’s a Book

Author: Lane Smith

Illustrator: Lane Smith

Publisher and Year: Roaring Book Press 2010

Number of pages: 26 pages

Genre: Fiction

IIMG_3390t’s a Book is a story about a mouse, a monkey and a donkey (the donkey is considered a jackass in the book). The monkey has a book and the donkey is very confused by the book because he only has technology and asks the monkey many questions about the book. Throughout the whole story the monkey tries to explain the book to the donkey. In the end the monkey gives up on trying to explain the process of using books and the concept of libraries.

I believe that this text can function as a mirror for children and parents. It shows how new generations of children are so reliable on technology that books have become less interesting than they once were. I think that adults may pick this book up and see similarities with their children and their addiction to technology. This book could also function, as a window for the readers because they can pick it up and see that the future may be like this if the importance of books is not stressed. The book only has animals in it so no culture or diversity is really represented.The images of the book mirror the text. The images are cartoon like and the illustrator made sure the emotions of the animals can be seen in their eyes. The text makes it a reality that technology is taking over the lives of the younger generations and that finding the easier route is what they want. For example the monkey shows the donkey a page of his book he has read and the donkey says “Too many letters. Ill fix it” and he continues to abbreviate words into texting form. I believe that the donkey is meant to symbolize young children and the monkey is an adult or parent. The pictures are all large and do not contain frames making it feel like the reader is part of the picture. The text seems like it is supposed to be comical and make fun of the fact children are so drawn to technology. Although this book does a good job talking about the issue of technology I was uncomfortable with their use of the word “jackass.” This is meant to be a children’s book. I found it in the children’s section and using the word jackass instead of donkey is inappropriate. Before the book starts there is a picture of the monkey and by it the text says “It’s a monkey” and by the donkey it says, “It’s a jackass”. The author should of used donkey instead of jackass to be more child friendly. All throughout the book the word jackass isn’t used again till the last page where the mouse in frustration yells at the donkey “It’s a book, Jackass.” Without this inappropriate word the book would be so much better. It would be funny and also teach an important lesson at the same time. Sadly because of this word I did not like the text because I wouldn’t feel comfortable using it in my classroom or reading it to my niece.