I Just Need an Antibiotic

Health care in the Philippines is quite an interesting subject. Although I have not experienced what it’s like to work in healthcare here, I have had many experiences with the public (and private) hospitals. Through my observations, personal testimonies with coworkers, and even an unexpected, personal, experience as a patient, I feel that I have gathered quite a bit of information about how healthcare works here. As a soon to be health care worker, experiencing different healthcare systems and understanding how they work is something I love learning about. And honestly, what a perfect way to truly understand what it’s like to receive healthcare than to experience it firsthand as a patient. 

When I was out in the field, I sustained many battle wounds- aka bug bites. For some reason, the Mosquitos really like my American blood! One bug bite in particular did not go away, and my inability to leave it alone caused it to become infected. Attempting to use the skills I’ve learned in my med surg class, I unfortunately was unsuccessful in my attempt to eradicate the infection. If I was in America, a quick trip to the store to buy Neosporin would have definitely done the trick. However, sadly that medication does not exist here. The best I could do was buy hydrogen peroxide and iodine (antiinfective). After a few days of my thorough attempt to heal the wound, it only began to get worse. I probably waited longer than I should have, but who can blame me, Nurses are the worst patients! I knew however that this needed an antibiotic and the longer I waited, the worse it would get. 

I didn’t truly realize the huge undertaking it would be to receive just a week’s worth of antibiotics. I first began by searching for nearby health clinics. Luckily, there was one in the mall nearby. After work, Ankush and I walked to the clinic only to be told that the doctor can’t see me until Friday. They only had an OBGYN on that day and their internal medicine doctor only works on Fridays. In other words, if you need anything before then, you either wait or go somewhere else (which is not as easy as  it sounds). I was so shocked that one would have to wait so long to see a doctor, what if it was an actual emergency?

Health clinic at local Mall

Determined to get the bug bite under control I looked up another clinic nearby. I found 3 on google maps and attempted to call all of them before making my walk but no one answered- that should’ve been a sign. The first clinic didn’t even exist, it was a pet shop! I then walked to a pharmacy and asked them where the nearest walk-in clinic was so I didn’t walk to any more non-existent clinics. After a short trike ride I ended up at a Private medical hospital. I was greeted by the nurse who asked me what brought me in. When I showed her my wound she made a concerned face and told me to come back tomorrow afternoon so I could be seen by the surgeon. At first I was told that I needed to be seen by a surgeon. I was then frustrated I was yet again told to come back. Not ready to give up, I asked the nurse where I could go so that I could be seen today. She told me about the Makati medical center. After an hour-long commute (remember the traffic?) I reached Makati.

I was so surprised, it felt like I had traveled back to America, the hospital was huge and I was instantly greeted with a nurse who took my vitals and admitted me to the ER. Within 1 hour I was seen by a doctor and prescribed antibiotics- it was even faster than it would be back home. “Why was it so fast?” I wondered.

The entire trip cost me $120 for 3 medications: an antibiotic, pain medication, and antiemetic, and the cost for being seen. After receiving my bill I ignorantly thought, “Wow! This is so cheap! And it was so fast”. Shortly after I realized the reason it was so fast was because the hospital felt like a ghost town and the ones who were there could actually afford it. 

The entire experience was stressful and inconvenient, yet, I am considered one of the privileged ones. Not only was my emergency not severe, but I had the money to afford all the transportation and ability to pay upfront. Most would have either waited to be seen (in frankly a clinic whose practice is questionable) or they would have not been seen at all. Sadly, that last option is the most common. 

Having gone through this experience intrigued me to further understand what it’s like being a patient in the Philippines and how all different types of people on the socioeconomic ladder receive health care. In my next few blog posts I will share my accumulation of thoughts, experiences and personal testimonies in an attempt to illustrate Filipino health care.