June 27-July 3

One more week in the books! This week included lots of learning experiences, some stressful events, relaxation, and more.

the hospital

This week Sir Jeff led us through our rotation to the Operating Room/Delivery room. working in the OR this week allowed us to make more connections with the nursing staff at Cabrini, learn the tools use in surgery, see how sterilization is done, and so much more. The coolest thing about this week is that we each got the unique experience to scrub into a procedure and assist the surgeon! This is an opportunity that would pretty much never happen for a nursing student in the U.S. We saw lots of cases from minor excisions, to scope procedures, major surgeries, and a newborn assessment. Personally, I got to scrub in on an AVF procedure. It was meaningful to me because I had a loved one who had this procedure done and I finally got a good picture of what she might have experienced. The surgeon I was assisting was very kind and was genuinely asking me questions about myself and my experiences. Again, something that would not happen very often in the U.S.

Solving problems

Technically the rainy season in the Philippines starts in June. This became obvious this week. Each day around 3 or 4 it downpoured and left us drenched by the time we got home. Usually, I enjoy the rain but this week it caused us a few issues. When we returned from work on Monday we walked in on water flooding into our home from the back door. We spent quite a few hours problem solving and trying to find the best way to get rid of the water that was collecting around a drain that would not drain. We used everything we could find – spoons, forks, syringes, chemicals, buckets, etc. Eventually, we got rid of as much water as we could but were not able to fix the drain on our own. Although the situation was smelly, frustrating, gross, and tiring, I’m proud of how we handled it. The next evening, a kind repairman came and also spent a few hours tackling the drain. We haven’t had any problems since, so keep your fingers crossed that that remains true!

activities

This week we spent a lot of our downtime relaxing and catching up on rest from the early wake-up calls for early surgeries. On Thursday, Jake and I joined Sir Jeff and some other guys from Cabrini for weekly basketball, which I always enjoy. They are all WAY better than me but it is so fun to be able to be active and play.

This weekend we stayed at home making friendship bracelets, hanging out, and watching TV. It was nice to have some time to myself and chill.

2 responses to “June 27-July 3