Meals and Connections

I posted about many of the meals I had throughout June and early July. With the end of July and the internship coming up, I have had many more meals that were just as delicious that I thought I might share.

To tell the truth, at the very, very beginning of the internship, I struggled a bit with the food. There was actually a lot of different factors that came into this. At first, it was the quarantine and limited access to food. Then there were bugs that got into the food I had. Then it turns out, simply getting used to food can be challenging in a new culture, and I was no exception.

But now, in the second month, I have the opposite issue. Food is cheap enough to order every day, its delicious, I haven’t had bug problems, I am fully used to the differences and people invite me out to food and I am eating all the time.

So this post is more about food! Because in the end, I love food so much~ My only concern is that I am terrible at remembering food names. So I’ll try my best.

My colleagues go out to eat weekly, so here is the Pork Tonkatsu I ordered with them. There is the fried egg on the side as well, absolutely delicious. Next to it is a sandwich I made and cut using Lettuce that Miss Joy gave me from a farmer’s market. It was really sweet of her. The lettuce itself was fresh (obviously) and really crisp too. I’ve never made such a picturesque sandwich, so I had to include it.

Here are two more meals I shared with the other four interns. On the left is the Vietnamese pho, and on the right is the Japanese ramen. Both so, so delicious, even if I managed to be full before even entering the store both times. So much good food to eat!

The leaves were really strong. They tasted like licorice, and it was a bad idea to bite into one. Fun though!

Now though those foods were all good, and it’s really cool that I can afford to eat out here, you must be asking: You’re in the Philippines, where is the Filipino food? Well, ask no more! One of my new colleagues got back from a trip, and when she learned I was visiting, she had to take me out to an amazing place called Lotus Pod to get some authentic Filipino food. And oh, it was so good.

The pork dish is Bagnet Kare-Kare, which is cripsy pork belly with peanut sauce, shrimp paste, and vegatables. The wrapped dish is actually chunks of chicken wrapped and cooked in screw pine leaves. The beef dish is Beef Rendang, which is in a coconut sauce. The soup is Seafood Binakol soup, which is shrimp, squid, and clams in a coconut broth. And lastly, the dessert is Buko Pandan with Ice cream, which had jelly cubes, young cocnut and sweetened cream with Pandan (which is a kind of leaf that tastes kind of like vanilla but not quite) and vanilla ice cream on top. There were also nachos as an appetizer, but those are not nearly as Philippine, haha.

Honorable mentions go to this Italian meal I had with the same coworker and lumpia from the cafeteria. Both delicious. I could not leave them out.

And because life isn’t perfect, I had to include this egg as well. I’m so sorry. All I wanted was a boiled egg. I have not a clue how this happened.