Alumni update: Mike Whitfield

Mike Whitfield (’10) writes that he’s currently training in Phoenix to be one of 150 Teach for America 2010 Colorado Corps members. This fall he will teach English Language Learning students at Manny Martinez Middle School in Denver. The Teach for America commitment is two years, and this fall more than 8,200 corps members will teach in 39 regions across the country. A new study from the University of North Carolina found that a young person gains up to an extra half-year of learning for every year they are in the class of a Teach for America teacher. On the other side, of the 20,000+ Teach for America alums, two-thirds remain in education, including 450 who are school principals or superintendents.

“I would not be where I am today without the amazing support of the entire English House faculty, staff, and student body,” Mike writes. “Every professor I had taught me something new about myself, and I have not taken for granted the gift of the great education I received in the Illinois Wesleyan English Department. However, I want to give a special shout out to you, Dr. Chapman, Dr. Theune, and Dr. Bray. Thank you!”