Madeline

image-15Title: Madeline

Author(s): Ludwig Bemelmans

Illustrator/Photographer: Ludwig Bemelmans

Publisher and Year: 1960-The Viking Press

Number of pages: 44

Tags/Themes: Danielle Burge, Caldecott Honor, Paris, Courage, Girls, Boarding School, Bravery, Friendship

Genre: Fiction

Descriptive Annotation: The book, Madeline, is one loved by many and a classic to all. In an old house in Paris lived twelve little girls and their kind house mom, Miss Clavel. They did everything together and in sequence through rain or shine. One of the twelve girls, Madeline, made sure to keep everyone entertained. Madeline was a brave, adventurous girl that experienced many adventures including emergency removal of her appendix. She ended up being just fine but it caused serious sadness to the eleven other girls. The story concluded with the eleven other girls crying because they wanted their appendix out too. Miss Chavel assured them they did not want that and should be thankful that they are well. This book has a combination of humor, appealing illustrations, rhythmic text, and a relatable story line.

Linguistic and Cultural Diversity Analysis: In this story the cultural diversity is the fictional story line of twelve little girls in a Catholic Boarding School in Paris. The humorous and adventurous story line shows the positive side of boarding school but doesn’t particular address many hardships.

The language in this story is simple and well suited towards younger elementary students. The text has a rhythmic approach, which makes it engaging and easy to follow.

Interdisciplinary Connections: I would use this particular when correlating fiction books into a Writing Lesson. Students could use this book as a writing idea finder when trying to think of something to write about. I would have a section in my classroom that has many different fiction books similar to this one and when a student is having trouble thinking of a fiction writing idea, I would send them over there. This way, the students are utilizing their reading and writing skills in one setting. Also, I would use this book when incorporating Fine Arts into my writing lesson because of the unique illustrations. The illustrations use many visual elements of art that students can easily identify.

Other Information: This has been one of my all time favorite stories since I was a little girl. The story line is engaging and the illustrations are visually appealing. It was treat to re-read this story and reminisce on the times I wished I was Madeline. I highly recommend this story to children because its relatable and humorous.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.