I am Different! Can You Find Me?

Title: I am Different! Can You Find Me?image-19

Author(s): Manjula Padmanabhan

Illustrator/Photographer:

Publisher and Year: 2011- Charlesbridge Publishing Inc.

Number of pages: 37

Tags/Themes: Danielle Burge, Multicultural, Manners, Customs, Language, Culture, Puzzles, Colorful, Difference, Similarities, Middle School, Worldwide

Genre: Non-Fiction and Cultural

Descriptive Annotation: This clever book celebrates the power of differences. It introduces different languages spoken worldwide and presents sixteen different visual puzzles for the reader to solve. On each page, the phrase, “Can you find me?” is shown is different language and an explanation of that particular language. The language is explained thoroughly and even shows a visual representation of how the language is written. Also, each language has a visual puzzle for the reader to find one item that is different from all the rest. The goal of this book is for the reader to understand the importance of language and how it helps connect one to another.

Linguistic and Cultural Diversity Analysis: In this book the cultural diversity is the explanation of sixteen different, worldwide languages and how they are and are not related. The goal of this book is for the reader to celebrate and understand the significance of differences.

The language in this book is fairly challenging and has lots of academic language. This book would be well suited for an upper elementary and middle school level classroom. Before reading this book, students need to have awareness about the many different, worldwide languages. Younger and middle elementary educators could use the puzzles in this book to help teach the concept of differences and have the students seek which item on the page is different than the others.

Interdisciplinary Connections: I would incorporate this book in both Social Studies and Foreign Language unit or lesson when explaining the differences and similarities between the languages spoke worldwide. Students could be split into groups and be given a particular language. The groups would do extensive research on the language and could use this book as a resource. Then they would present the language to the classmates. That way, each language is addressed in some fashion and not spent extensive time on.

Other Information: Overall, I liked the integration of puzzle and texts in this book. I wasn’t very pleased with the paragraph explanation of each language because it became very redundant and caused me to lose focus quickly. I wouldn’t see myself using this book as a lesson resource but I would have it in my classroom, to help explain the importance of difference.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.