Can I Have a Stegosaurus, Mom? Can I? Please!?

Title: Can I Have a Stegosaurus, Mom? Can I? Please!?20140402_112713

Author: Lois G. Grambling

Illustrator: H.B. Lewis

Publisher and Year: BridgeWater Books, 1995

Number of pages: 30

Genre: Humor, Fiction, Fantasy

Descriptive Annotation: A little boy asks his mom if he can have a pet Stegosaurus and then proceeds to tell her what he would do if he had one. He would ride it around town, play games with it, take it trick or treating, travel on it to the North Pole to visit Santa, and have it sleep with him to scare monsters away. He explains that the most important reason he wants a Stegosaurus is because he found a large egg in the forest, but what is in the egg is not what you would expect. The illustrations are vivid and the illustrator uses a shadowing technique that is used to give hints about what is going to happen next in the story. Students will need to know what a Stegosaurus is before reading this book.

20140402_112743

Linguistic and Cultural Diversity Analysis: This book does not emphasize cultural diversity. Each page contains only a couple of lines of text containing simple words, which would make this book a good fit for early elementary students. This book would also be a fun one to read aloud, especially when the dinosaur makes loud noises.

Interdisciplinary Connections: You could use this book in a science unit on dinosaurs. As a way to integrate writing, you could have your students write about what they would do if they had a pet dinosaur.

Other Information: I really enjoyed reading this book. It is humorous and surprising. While reading this book, you could have your students imitate the dinosaur noises. As a closure activity, you could have your students draw a picture of what their pet dinosaur would look like if they had one.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.