Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Title: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Author(s): Judi Barrett

Cloudy with a Chance of MeatballsIllustrator/Photographer: Ron Barrett

Publisher and Year: Hardcover Publication, 1978

Number of pages: 32

Tags/Themes: Danielle Burge, Weather, Fantasy, Wants, Needs, K-3

Genre: Fantasy and Science Fiction

Descriptive Annotation: In the little town of Chewandswallow everything was very similar to every other little town except one minor thing. Three times a day, they had significant weather that would rain breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The people of this town had it very easy when they were hungry because all they had to do was step outside and they would receive the food they wanted. After time passed on, the food began to stack up and the people began to eat more and more. The piled up food became a burden and put the town in serious danger. Families began to fear for their lives and decided to build rafts made from food to find new land less dangerous. They sailed for many days until they reached a town that was built out of bread. The families believed this would be a much better environment to live in and even saw their first snowstorm that didn’t consist of food. Life became easier and less dangerous and the families were much happier.

Linguistic and Cultural Diversity Analysis: A cultural diversity example in this particular book would be the differences between the town of Chewandswallow and the new land they set out for. The people of Chewandswallow began with positive feelings about their town and the gifts they were receiving. Then once they realized that their lives became in danger, they packed up and sought safe ground. This story could be related to the lands of luxury vs. the lands of deficiency all around the world and the diversity between them.

Interdisciplinary Connections: I would use this story in a Social Studies, Science, and Language Arts classroom. For Social Studies, I would relate the story to the diverse lands around the world and have students detect lands of wealth vs. the lands of poverty and compare and contrast their positives and negatives. Students would come up with personal statements about where they would rather live and why. For Science, I would correlate the story with weather and allow students to use this imagination and decide what the weather would have to do for it drop their favorite food from the sky. In Language Arts, I would have the students read the story and watch a short clip from the movie that was recently released. Then I would have the students’ compare and contrast the book and the movie.

Other Information: In grade school, we read this book and I can remember it being one of my favorite stories and lessons. We read the story as a class and then we each made our favorite food out of construction paper. After we made a visual representation we wrote out why it is our favorite food and why we would want this particular food to fall from the sky.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.