What Makes A Poem

While reading Rae Armantrout’s “New” for class I couldn’t help but wonder is this a poem. It was so fragmented, so out there, that I wasn’t entirely sure what to make of it. To me, poems need a point, a form that someone can see and recognize. If a poem is so fragmented it doesn’t even seem like a poem anymore, more like an exercise in prose or bullet points to an actual poem. They don’t entirely capture the essence of a poem, but more the essence of an idea that wants to be turned into a poem. So when I see poems like this one, or “A1 from the Day,” then I have to question whether or not they are even poems. They are segmented and drawn out so much that it is difficult to find the message, hard to pay attention to the words, and confusing to try to piece together the puzzle of a poem. While I do agree that there is such a thing as a segmented poem, I also believe that there is a thin line between fragmented poetry and just random words being thrown together. What do you guys think about what makes a poem?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.