Austin Smith: Sirens

My personal favorite from Austin Smith’s work (next to The Pit) was his poem, “Sirens” because it was simple, but also so beautiful. I love the energy and action of a city, but also the quiet of the country, so I thought this Smith poem was really quite stunning. During our interview he mentioned he was worried about offending his cousin, but his aunt actually really enjoyed that he wrote about his cousin and it wasn’t found to be offensive at all! So, I enjoyed this poem because I liked the contrast between the city and the country, but I also really enjoy that Smith writes about what he knows. When you read his poetry, you do become curious to know more, but because he writes about things he knows so closely (family, farm, childhood, etc.) I feel like it creates a deeper connection for the reader, although I found it terribly comical when he mentioned his family calls him out on writing about things\remembering things that never happened – ha! I think writers tend to do that, and perhaps emphasize and overexaggerate things too much, but it creates beautiful work. perhaps even to the dismay of his folks, ha! His entire collection is wonderful and I thought his suggestion for writers to carry around a notebook to write ideas as they come to them is a great idea, and, perhaps (much like Austin himself), old-fashioned, but entirely practical.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Austin Smith: Sirens

1. thequill says:

Interesting to begin to think about Austin in light of “engaged” poetry– Does his mythologizing make him less of an engaged poet, or is such mythologizing simply a part of the poetic process?