RSS Feed

Registration Frustration

April 8, 2010 by Tommy Titan

Dear Tommy,
I always hate registering for classes because I’m afraid something isn’t going to work.  Is there a less stressful way to get classes?
–FRUSTRATED

Dear FRUSTRATED,

I understand that registering can make you anxious, but you have no idea how good you’ve got it.  Let me elaborate…

When we first moved to the online registration system, it would crash with some regularity.  Students would log in only to get shut out, sometimes midway through getting their courses.  They would have to log back in and start all over—but that was only if they were able.  Often the system would be down for an hour or so before it could be revived, and this caused great panic across campus, as you can imagine.  Still, this was a step up from the previous system.

Before online registration, students had to schedule an appointment with their advisor, have him or her sign off on the courses the student wanted to take, and then traipse back to the Registrar’s Office to stand in a line that wrapped around the outside of Holmes Hall for approval of those courses.  If the courses were closed by the time the student reached the front of the line, it was back to the drawing board.  Another appointment, another carbon copy of the course sheet, another line.

Before that, the process was even worse.  Advisors had total veto power, and if they didn’t like the courses their advisee planned to take, they could simply change his or her major on the spot.  I once spent a semester abroad in Greenland studying glacial erosion only because my advisor thought English Literature was the wrong discipline for me.  And you don’t even want to know what class registration was like before that.  It involved bribery and an occasional animal sacrifice—real ugly stuff.

Trust me, FRUSTRATED, you have it easy.  So get on your computer, make your choices, and then go see Hot Tub Time Machine.  Because it’s awesome.

–Tommy

No Comments »