Lizzie Egan ’14

Lizzie Egan

Lizzie during her ARC days

Year of Graduation: 2014
Major/minor: Business Administration/Marketing
Current address: Chicago, IL

How were you engaged with ARC? Not just the seminar/internship/fellowship but describe the type of project.
I did the Community Partnership Program in the summer of 2012. I worked in Creative Services in State Farm to develop this YouTube video and help kickstart the Tool Library. I also worked with Western Avenue Community Center to assist with fundraising.

Where are you now?
I work on the Social Media team at Allstate Insurance. I live in Chicago.

Where did ARC take you professionally? Are you doing work that connects back to ARC in some way?
Professionally, I always make sure to connect community work with my professional work. In my first couple months at Allstate, I was a coordinator for our annual Giving Campaign. While work can be overwhelming, ARC taught me that I always have time and interest in giving back to the communities we serve. This isn’t just volunteering or giving money but finding ways to find justice. ARC taught me to think outside the box while simultaneously balancing several projects at once. I can manage time and responsibilities like a champion because of Deborah.

^Check out this video that Lizzie made!

Where did ARC take you personally? Are you engaged in community work that is ARC-like?
(see above) I became incredibly justice oriented and socially aware. Before ARC, I was not really thinking of anyone but myself. I didn’t think before I spoke and truly didn’t understand the magnitude of my privilege. ARC motivated me to develop a more respectful and equal society.

Did ARC teach you what we were supposed to teach you? Did we teach you anything that was a surprise or outside of the learning objectives?
ARC taught me EVERYTHING they were supposed to plus 100 more things.
Something surprising/different: I didn’t really have political views before ARC, but afterwards I became very left wing.

Share a great memory about ARC/IWU.
Going to Carl’s and other businesses on the west side with the group. Made awesome friends I wouldn’t have become connected with and was able to discover a beautiful side of Bloomington that people often overlook.

Read more alumni stories by exploring the Alumni map!