Jazmyn Becker CPP Intern’11

west bloomington revitalization project

Binder #: 24
Major: Business and Educational Studies
Passion: Marketing, Education & Outreach
Organization: WBRP, State Farm

Project Summary: At State Farm I was assigned to the Marketing Communications: Mass Media Team. The team works largely with outside marketing agencies, with a specific focus on young families, Hispanics, and the Asian/Asian Indian marketing segment. At State Farm I was put to work on project management in conjunction with marketing analysis on various projects including agent/zone creative work, Gold Cup Sponsorship efforts, public affairs action advertising, and young adult/zone creative work. Many of the projects I worked on impacted the community for the better. With the Gold Cup Sponsorship, State Farm donated Soccket balls to South American countries in exchange for people donating minutes via online gaming. The Soccket ball is an energy storing ball that can generate light after playing with it, providing light to many children’s homes in South America. I also worked on the advertising components for the Public Affairs, Make It Possible project with Financial Literacy Town halls. These town hall meetings will take place around the United States starting in August and will provide free workshops to the public to learn about various financial topics. Advertising was done largely in Spanish on major Hispanic networks in an effort to convince the Hispanic audience to attend. For the nonprofit component of the internship, I worked at the West Bloomington Revitalization Project (WBRP). I worked on various projects that were in line with their overall missions and values. One of the focuses of the WBRP Task force is to help local businesses and prove to the greater community that the West Bloomington region is a revitalized commercial area open for expansion. The project I worked on was to interview 10 local business owners in an effort to gain more insight from the owner perspective, and develop promotional pieces to incorporate in our community newsletter.