Allison Hartford CPP Intern’08

Binder #: 12
Passion: Education
Organization: East Central Illinois Area Agency on Aging

Project Summary: I worked in the Property and Casualty Actuarial at State Farm, and at the East Central Illinois Area Agency on Aging (ECIAAA) in the community. In the Actuarial department I worked on a countrywide pricing project, where I updated and analyzed data on off-road vehicles that is used to determine whether the department should propose a rate change for 2009. I also worked with the competition unit to assemble an electronic library of homeowners coverages for the top five insurance companies in Wisconsin, Washington, and Florida. Firthermore, I assisted my supervisor with smaller administrative tasks, such as preparing a spreddsheet with rate change proposals for our Vice President and identifying trends in the department budget for further consideration. At ECIAAA, I worked with my supervisor and the Illinois Pioneer Coalition to research cutural changes in nursing homes. In addition to this research, I was responsible for expanding our network by updating and adding to a database of contact information with other individuals and organizations that are involved with this campaign. I also worked with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (VITA) program to assist seniors who were eligible for the 2007 Federal Economic Stimulus Payment, but had not yet filed a tax return. For another project, I created an information brochure about fraud and phishing scams that target senior citizens. Finally, I worked with my supervisor at the Action Research Center to design another internship position at ECIAAA that would be open to IWU students during the 2008-2009 school year.