Allison Hartford: CPP Internship ’08

ECIAAA

State Farm Projects:

I worked in the Property and Casualty Actuarial at State Farm. In the Actuarial department I worked on a countrywide pricing project, where I updated and analyzed data on off-road vehicles that is used to determine whether the department should propose a rate change for 2009. I also worked with the competition unit to assemble an electronic library of homeowners’ coverage for the top five insurance companies in Wisconsin, Washington, and Florida. Furthermore, I assisted my supervisor with smaller administrative tasks, such as preparing a spreadsheet with rate change proposals for our Vice President and identifying trends in the department budget for further consideration.

ECIAAA Projects:

I worked at the East Central Illinois Area Agency on Aging (ECIAAA) for my community project. At ECIAAA, I worked with my supervisor and the Illinois Pioneer Coalition to research cultural changes in nursing homes. In addition to this research, I was responsible for expanding our network by updating and adding to a database of contact information with other individuals and organizations that are involved with this campaign. I also worked with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (VITA) program to assist seniors who were eligible for the 2007 Federal Economic Stimulus Payment, but had not yet filed a tax return. For another project, I created an information brochure about fraud and phishing scams that target senior citizens. Finally, I worked with my supervisor at the Action Research Center to design another internship position at ECIAAA that would be open to IWU students during the 2008-2009 school year.

A Note From Allison:

I think that this is a great program! It is well structured and unique and gives you the opportunity to work in both the non-profit and for-profit worlds simultaneously. This exposes you to two work environments with great people, projects, and opportunities. Having participated in this program, I feel as if though I have gained a new set of skills. I’ve had the opportunity to develop personally and professionally, and I have enhanced my technical and computer skills. My advice to future applicants and program participants is this: Make the best of it. Maintain a positive attitude and talk to as many people as you can. There is something new to learn from everyone. Most importantly, work hard, have fun, meet new people, and make new friends.