Ryan Dyar: CPP Program ’13

State Farm: At State Farm I helped to refine the Catastrophe Volunteer Program based on feedback from the most recent activation and planning for the future. I primarily worked with legacy zone coordinators to update volunteer data, and revised communication temples. In addition to the Volunteer Program, I was given the opportunity to help with the creation of the new ILR fire claims system by reviewing training materials.   ryandyar

Community: At the American Red Cross I worked to improve disaster preparedness within Bloomington-Normal. I accomplished this by increasing the number of community organizations using Ready Rating–the online disaster assessment tool designed by the Red Cross. I primarily engaged in reaching out to community organizations, spreading resource awareness, and walking organizations through the Ready Rating baseline assessment. While progress has been made with this project, I intend to keep working throughout the school year with both businesses and schools to increase readiness in our community.

Grant Summary: This project is requesting $489.00 to increase disaster preparedness within Bloomington- Normal by hosting a workshop at Illinois Wesleyan University where Red Cross Volunteers work with business organizations affiliated with the IWU Action Research Center to help the organizations become Red Cross Ready Rating certified. An organization achieves this certification by making a commitment to becoming more prepared for emergencies and completing the online Ready Rating preparedness assessment. This assessment uses a point-based system to determine an organization’s current level of preparedness and then supplies the organization with a tailored set of steps it may take to improve its level of readiness.

Message from Ryan- “I would like to thank everyone in the Catastrophe Department for their kindness, helpfulness, and providing me with a meaningful opportunity— especially my supervisor, Evan Russo. It was readily apparent that my development was important to this division and that means a lot; I know each Catastrophe employee is outstandingly busy and that crafting an experience takes a considerable amount of time and effort. This was not an empty internship, but one that challenged assumptions, encouraged innovative thinking, and required me to develop new, and polish old, skills. I am appreciative.”