Zach Silver ’18 has been working with Laurie Santos, director of the Comparative Cognition Laboratory and the Canine Cognition Center at Yale University. Zach is a graduate student interested in how nonhuman animals learn from and about human agents. He also provides original music for Santos’ podcast The Happiness Lab.
Thank you very much to Jacob Taitel ’18, who returned to Illinois Wesleyan February 8th and 9th to give a Tuba recital and a masterclass to our tuba/euphonium students. He is pursuing a Doctorate of Musical Arts in Tuba Performance at the University of Michigan starting next fall. Go Jacob!
Jacob appears in the middle with the red tie.
Here are ways to virtually engage with IWU and fellow Titans:
- Performances from IWU alumni, students and faculty
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a virtual performance to share. Follow the School of Theatre Arts Facebook page for posts about performances by students and alumni.
- Back to College Classes
Check out videos of previous classes featuring alumni.
- Take part in Titan Talks: Webinar Series
We are excited to launch this series featuring alumni, faculty and staff.
- Start a Titan Group
Have you been wanting to start a book club? Let us know at email@example.com and we can help connect you to other interested alumni.
- IWU Social Media
Follow Illinois Wesleyan University Alumni Association social media for the latest updates and announcements – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.
- Virtual Titan Connections
We miss connecting with Titans in person, but we would love to see photos or videos from your virtual connections. Show your Titan pride and tag IWU Alumni Association (@IWU_AlumniAssoc) on Twitter and (@illinoiswesleyanalumni) on Facebook. You can also post in your Regional Alumni Chapter’s Facebook group, reunion group, or affinity group.
- Titan Challenges
Challenge your fellow Titans to a virtual 5K or fitness challenge. Be sure to wear your favorite Titan gear and share a photo on social media or you can send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To share a word of support for your classmates at this time, submit a post to your class newsletter by emailing your editor or if your class does not have an editor, send your post to email@example.com.
- You can provide support to the Titan Student Emergency Fund. This fund will provide relief to students with needs such as housing, travel, moving and storage, transportation and vehicle repair, and technology needs related to remote learning.
- If you have expertise or a career opportunity that you can share with students, please connect with a Hart Career Center staff member for a phone or video appointment through a Handshake account here. You can also post job and internship opportunities on the site. View FAQs here.
- University Archives & Special Collections wants to hear your experiences and reflections to keep a historical record of the impact of the pandemic on the Illinois Wesleyan community, you can learn more here.
- Assist the IWU Admissions team in student recruitment efforts. Our alumni are the best and most qualified to meet with prospective students to share your IWU experience. Sign up here: Titan Alumni Ambassadors.
- You can see more ideas here.
Thank-A-Giver Day (TAG Day) is Monday, February 10. This day provides the IWU campus community with the opportunity to thank donors who support Illinois Wesleyan. IWU celebrates each year in mid-February because it marks the symbolic point during the academic year – about 70% of the way through – when we rely on support from alumni and friends, our endowment, and external grants.
If you would like to be celebrated as a donor today, you can make a gift at iwu.edu/give.
Congradulations to Emilee Lieser (Monken) ’18 and Erich Lieser ’18 for getting married on June 8th! They met in the education department during their time at IWU. Erich played football all four years and Emilee was a member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Present at the wedding were many fellow students and alumni, including Emilee’s parents, who are alumni, and Emilee’s sister, who is a student.
In photo, from left to right: Jon Lieser, Bobby Lieser, Ian McGinnis (IWU ’18), Matt Campbell (current IWU employee and student), Brian Johnson (IWU 2014-18), Trevor Staley (IWU ’19), Reid Monken, Lee Lieser (IWU ’19), Erich Lieser (IWU ’18), Emilee Lieser (Monken (IWU ’18), Abigail Monken (IWU ’21), Emily Lieser, Linnea Swanson (IWU ’18), Emily Diehl (IWU ’17), Kelly Kaveney (IWU ’18), Caroline Cochonour, Gina Lathrop
Anthony Lunsford ’18 has been selected as the Illinois Wesleyan University Women’s Bowling coach. Anthony will be the first coach in the program’s history. To read more about his accomplishment, click here.
Mackenzie Marquis ’18 married Kurtis Hoekstra on September 13, 2019 in Bloomington, IL.
Congratulations to the happy couple, wishing you the best!
Illinois Wesleyan University Homecoming
October 4-6, 2019
We are looking forward to another great Homecoming this fall! Your story started here, and Illinois Wesleyan University helped guide your path to where you are today.
This is cause for celebration! Come back to campus on October 4-6 to celebrate, reminisce, and revisit your story.